My name is Joanna Karpowicz, I’m a painter and comic artist from Cracow, Poland. I studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow, Painting Department, atelier of Prof. Leszek Misiak. I finished my studies with a master’s degree (MA) in 2001.
I was born in the family of artists. My father, Sławomir Karpowicz (died in 2001) was teaching painting at the Academy. My mother, Anna Karpowicz-Westner is a well established painter and the most hardworking person I’ve ever met. My younger sister, Katarzyna Karpowicz is a real prodigy, with a mighty talent. Thanks to them I understood that being an artist is a “path of samurai” – unless you’re fully devoted, you’ll never achieve what you dream of.
During my studies I was rebelling. I was not ready to get out of my comfort zone everyday. I wanted a comfortable life, a “real job”. I’ve found one – in an advertising agency. I was lured with this world of shiny puzzles. Soon I’ve learned a new profession – starting from copywriting I became a strategist, specialised in branding. I’ve finished my studies and I was allready working full time. Only after hours I was an artist. I was painting, sometimes showing my works somewhere, making comics – but mostly for pleasure. It took me 12 years to realize that I’m not happy and be ready to change it.
In 2012 I’ve started my new life. I live and work in Cracow. I’m a full time artist and proud of it.
Important individual exhibitions:
- LA Woman, Artemis Art Gallery (Cracow, 2017),
- Anubis, Raven Gallery (Cracow, 2016),
- I Want To Believe, Centrum Kultury Zamek (Wroclaw, 2014),
- Anubis, My Friend, Galeria Łącznik (Cracow, 2013),
- Means of Locomotion, Cafe Szafe (Cracow, 2008),
- Room 666, Galeria Nova (Cracow, 2003).
Among the group exhibitions the most important to me are those crossing the border between painting and comics.
- Leszek Misiak and His Students, Open Eyes Festival, (Cracow, 2017),
- Artists From Cracow. Generation 1970-1979. MOCAK | Museum of Contemporary Arts (Cracow, 2017),
- Blood: Uniting and Dividing, POLIN | Museum of The History of Polish Jews (Warsaw, 2017),
- My country so beautiful (Galeria Arsenał, Poznań, 2015),
- 4 x Karpowicz (Galeria Raven, Cracow 2014),
- Strange Stories – curated project of GaleriaStalowa (Warsaw / Kaunas, Meno Forma Galerija, 2014),
- Double Portrait– curated project by Central Europe Comic Art, presented in Budapest, Riga, Kaunas. 2012),
- Comic. Urban Legends in Museum of Contemporary Art MOCAK (Kraków, 2011),
- Comic nach polnisher art, Galeria Spedition (Bremmen, 2006).
Published comic albums with my illustrations:
- Lipstick, written by Jerzy Szyłak, published by Wydawnictwo Mandragora, 2003,
- Jutro będzie futro, published by Atropos, 2005,
- Postcards from Białystok, published by Centrum im. Ludwika Zamenhofa, 2013,
- Kwaśne jabłko, written by Jerzy Szyłak, published by Timof Comics, 2017.
- Anubis – artbook, published by Centrala, 2017.
- Anastazja. (I), written by Magdalena Lankosz, Kultura Gniewu
Upcoming comic albums.
- Anastazja. (II), written by Magdalena Lankosz, Kultura Gniewu (release date: October 2018.
I’ve published my works in various anthologies and comic magazines. As an illustrator I worked for Wysokie Obcasy, Wydawnictwo Literackie, Draft Publishing and Borys Lankosz – Polish film director. You can find my original artworks at ArtKomiks.pl.
You can also pay me a visit at my art studio in Cracow. There is nothing like seeing art live. If you are interested – email me. If you have a Cat Allergy – don’t forget your drugs. My cat is everywhere.
Greetings from Cracow,